Employment Lawyers in Louisiana
Miller, Hampton, & Hilgendorf are employment lawyers in Louisiana who help clients facing a range of employment law issues. U.S. employment laws protect workers from discriminatory hiring and firing practices and sexual harassment. The Fair Labor Standards Act sets standards for minimum wage and overtime pay. Miller, Hampton, & Hilgendorf offer clients a range of employment law services in Louisiana, including assistance for workers facing:
- Unpaid Overtime
- Minimum Wage Violations
- Late Wages
- Sexual Harassment
- Wrongful Termination
- Medical and Pregnancy Leave
- And More
Whether you have been wrongfully terminated or are facing a dispute regarding unpaid overtime, Miller, Hampton, & Hilgendorf are employment lawyers in Louisiana who may be able to help you protect your rights. Our employment law firm fights for the rights of workers in Louisiana. Here is more information about some of the areas of employment law where we may be able to help you:
- Unpaid Overtime. Most workers are entitled to receive time and a half payment for every hour they work over 40 hours in a workweek. While there are some workers who are exempt from overtime pay, most blue collar workers are entitled to overtime pay. If you have worked overtime and haven’t received overtime pay, were classified as a contract worker, or were paid a day rate and denied overtime pay, you may have the right to seek payment for the wages you were not paid. Contact Miller, Hampton, & Hilgendorf, employment lawyers in Louisiana today to learn more.
- Late Wages. Employers have a responsibility to pay workers their wages on pay day. Workers should never have to face a bounced pay check. Your employer should inform you about pay periods in writing and let you know which day you can expect to receive your pay check. If you have had your pay delayed or suffered damages due to a bounced pay check, you may be entitled to seek compensation for your losses and for the wages that weren’t paid on time. Late pay can lead to unpaid bills and other losses. Contact Miller, Hampton, & Hilgendorf, employment lawyers in Louisiana.
- Minimum Wage Violations. The federal minimum wage is $7.25 per hour. However, tipped restaurant workers are entitled to $2.13 per hour in wages, as long as the employee receives at least $30 per month in tips. However, the total amount per hour the employee receives must add up to at least $7.25 per hour. So if you are a tipped employee and your wages at the end of the pay period are not $7.25 per hour, your employer may be required to make up the difference. If you were paid less than $7.25 per hour, the Louisiana employment lawyers at Miller, Hampton, & Hilgendorf may be able to help you seek compensation to fill in the gap.
- If you have suffered discrimination due to your age, disability, national origin, pregnancy, race, religion, or sex, you might be entitled to compensation for your lost wages and damages. Employers are not permitted to use age, physical ability (unless the job requires certain physical abilities), national origin, pregnancy, race, religion, or sex when making decisions about hiring, firing, promotion, wages and pay, and benefits. If you believe you have suffered workplace discrimination, contact Miller, Hampton, & Hilgendorf, employment lawyers in Louisiana today.
- Sexual harassment. Unwanted sexual advances, teasing, or creating a hostile work environment, are forms of sexual harassment. When employers ask workers for sexual favors or dates in exchange for promotions or raises, this is also a form of sexual harassment. While the harassment must be pervasive and be part of a larger pattern, sexual harassment of any kind on the job can be disruptive. Miller, Hampton, & Hilgendorf is an employment law firm in Louisiana that may be able to help you if you believe you have suffered sexual harassment in the workplace.
- Wrongful termination. Wrongful termination occurs when an employer violates the terms of a contract or when an employer terminates an employee as an act of discrimination or as an act of retaliation for the employee asserting other rights. Wrongful termination is very specific. Being fired is not wrongful termination. If you have questions about whether you might have been wrongfully terminated, consider speaking to Miller, Hampton, & Hilgendorf, an employment lawyer in Louisiana.
- Medical and Pregnancy Leave. If you are pregnant, or need medical leave, you may be entitled to unpaid leave under the law. Your employer is not permitted to fire you if you become pregnant or if you need time off to give birth or to heal from an illness or temporary disability. If you believe you were wrongfully terminated because you became ill or pregnant or didn’t receive reasonable accommodations for your pregnancy, consider speaking to Miller, Hampton, & Hilgendorf, an employment law firm in Louisiana today.
- Workers have a right to ask for unpaid wages, and to report harassment or discrimination. If you believe you have been fired or demoted or passed up for a promotion as an act of retaliation, you may have certain rights. Miller, Hampton, & Hilgendorf are employment lawyers in Louisiana who may be able to help you.
- Other employment law questions. If you have other employment law questions, contact Miller, Hampton, and Hilgendorf today. Our Louisiana employment law firm can review an employment contract before you sign it, and we can answer any other employment law questions you might have.
These are just some of the areas of the law where the employment lawyers at Miller, Hampton, & Hilgendorf may be able to assist you. If you have an employment law question, contact our firm today in Louisiana to learn more about your options and rights. Our firm fights for workers’ rights. Let Miller, Hampton, & Hilgendorf, employment lawyers in Louisiana assist you today. Whether you need advice about whether you should sign a non-compete agreement for a new job, need advice about how to fight back against sexual harassment in the #metoo era, or if you have a question about wage violations, Miller, Hampton, & Hilgendorf may be able to help you.