Truck Accident Lawyers in Baton Rouge, Louisiana
Miller, Hampton, & Hilgendorf are truck accident lawyers in Baton Rouge, Louisiana who work with individuals and families who have suffered serious injuries following truck wrecks. If you or someone you love was hurt due to the negligent actions of a truck driver or truck company, reach out to Miller, Hampton, & Hilgendorf, a semi-truck accident lawyer in Baton Rouge, Louisiana today. According to Business Insider, the trucking industry makes over $700 billion a year. And yet, in a single year, according to the Insurance Institute for Highway Safety 4,136 people died in truck crashes. If the same number of people died in airplane crashes or train accidents, there would be a massive public outcry, but because we have become so desensitized to truck accident deaths and injuries, we don’t often hear the same public call for accountability.
Fortunately, there are strict federal laws in place to protect everyone who uses the road and also to hold truck drivers and truck companies accountable. Hours of service laws, weight and load limits, medical certification, and driver’s licensure are all ways that the federal government regulates the trucking industry. When truck drivers or truck companies fail to follow the law or cut corners, innocent drivers can get hurt. Miller, Hampton, & Hilgendorf are truck accident attorneys in Baton Rouge, Louisiana who can help you and your family seek damages if you have been hurt in a truck accident. You are not alone, but you may only have a limited amount of time to make a claim after a crash. Contact the semi-truck accident lawyers at Miller, Hampton, & Hilgendorf in Baton Rouge, Louisiana today.
Why Truck Accident Claims Differ from Car Accident Claims
If you’ve been hurt in a truck accident, it can be helpful to hire a Baton Rouge truck accident law firm to help you with your claim. Truck accident claims can differ from car accident claims in some specific ways. For one, truck companies and drivers are required to abide by stricter regulations than other drivers on the road. For example, some laws include:
- Federal hours of service laws, which limit how long a driver can operate a truck in a given day, and how often a truck driver must rest. The truck accident lawyers in Baton Rouge Louisiana at Miller, Hampton, & Hilgendorf can review truck driver’s logs, shipping schedules, and other evidence to determine whether federal hours of service laws were broken.
- Load and weight limits. Trucks must be properly loaded to prevent rollover accidents, and truck companies and shippers must abide by load limits. The semi-truck accident lawyers at Miller, Hampton, & Hilgendorf in Baton Rouge, Louisiana can review shipping logs and other evidence to determine if an overloaded truck resulted in your accident.
- Driver medical requirements. Drivers must pass regular medical exams and must not be taking certain kinds of medication when driving. Truck companies are required to properly vet drivers and ensure that drivers are up-to-date on certifications. Still, sometimes drivers may start taking medications or may suffer from symptoms of an illness that would disqualify them from driving and may still continue to work. If this happens, victims and families may be entitled to seek damages from the driver or truck company. Miller, Hampton, & Hilgendorf are truck accident lawyers in Baton Rouge, Louisiana that may be able to help you.
- Drunk and drugged driving. Truck drivers are required to meet stricter sobriety requirements than other drivers on the road. Sometimes when drivers take certain medications, they could be considered to be driving under the influence. If a truck driver was found to be under the influence and caused a crash, you and your family may be entitled to seek damages from the driver and truck company. Contact the semi-truck accident lawyers at Miller, Hampton, & Hilgendorf in Baton Rouge, Louisiana today to learn more.
- Trucks need to undergo regular maintenance and when truck companies cut corners, serious accidents can happen. The truck accident lawyers at Miller, Hampton, & Hilgendorf in Baton Rouge, Louisiana may be able to help you if a truck’s brakes failed, tires blew, or other equipment malfunction led to your crash.
These are just some of the factors that can play a role in a truck accident. There are many other situations that can lead to truck accidents. Trucks weigh more than passenger vehicles and therefore they can lead to more serious accidents than car crashes. Truck accident claims can sometimes be more complex than car accident claims because multiple stakeholders may be responsible for the claim—from insurance companies to truck companies to the driver. Having a truck accident lawyer on your side can make a big difference in navigating the law and in helping you and your family seek the damages you may deserve. If you or someone you love was hurt in a truck accident reach out to Miller, Hampton, & Hilgendorf, truck accident lawyers in Baton Rouge for a FREE CONSULTATION.