How can Miller, Hampton & Hilgendorf assist victims with personal injury claims in Donaldsonville LA?
Experienced accident lawyers in Donaldsonville LA are instrumental in the procurement of damage compensation for personal injury, property costs, or wrongful death loss on behalf of Louisiana accident victims. Attorneys at Miller, Hampton & Hilgendorf will utilize pertinent state and federal laws to initiate personal injury claims for payment, or indemnity when an injured party is not at fault after a car, truck, or other automobile accident. Donaldsonville Louisiana injury lawyers have valuable resources to use against insurance companies who want to close out claims quickly, making it important for victims to contact accident attorneys soon after a mishap results in wrongful death, personal injury, or property damage. Truck and car wreck lawyers in Donaldsonville LA have experts who can provide case-strengthening documentation by recreating accident scenes; reviewing police reports, witness testimony and medical reports; and compiling projected financial valuations of an accident victim’s losses.
What types of damages can Donaldsonville Louisiana injury lawyers help their clients recover?
Accidents can leave people with short and long term physical disability, coupled with financial hurdles that are difficult to overcome due to their unplanned nature. Those unexpected detrimental occurrences sometimes make it necessary to initiate lawsuits to cover the negative monetary impacts and stave off insurmountable debt related to medical bills, lost wages, or funeral expenses caused by an accident.
- Compensatory damages are an award of money in compensation for actual economic losses, injury, and property damage, not including punitive damages. The award of money is meant to address special economic damages, including present and future lost wages, medical bills, current and future medical care, household expenses; and general non-economic damages, including pain and suffering, mental anguish and loss of consortium, or companionship.
- Punitive damages under Louisiana law, sometimes called “exemplary damages,” are awarded on a case-by-case basis, when the negligent acts of a defendant are egregious, intentional, and significantly harmful to another person. Punitive damages are awarded for the purpose of punishing defendants, and to deter future similar acts, not to provide compensation. It is best to speak with a Donaldsonville Louisiana accident attorney about cases where a defendant deliberately, or with reckless disregard, acted in a manner that would cause harm. Louisiana personal injury attorneys at Miller, Hampton & Hilgendorf can build a case proving negligence that may yield punitive damages.
What types of accidents in Donaldsonville Louisiana result in legal action toward fiscal recovery?
Louisiana personal injury, premises liability, medical malpractice, wrongful death claims, truck accidents, automobile accidents, and car accidents are at the root of legal action in pursuit of economic, and non-economic damages, plus punitive damages in specific situations. Louisiana states that personal injury lawsuits for injuries caused by negligence, misconduct, or malpractice must be filed within one year from when the injury was sustained, discovered, or should have been discovered through reasonable care. Donaldsonville LA auto accident attorneys can inform a claimant of any deviations from that timeline when initiating legal action.
- Motor vehicle. A car wreck attorney in Donaldsonville LA can help individuals who are injured in a motor vehicle accident in the State of Louisiana, where 768 related deaths occurred in 2018. Victims may have questions for car accident lawyers concerning insurance limitations that will affect property damage and personal injury claims. A timely, and comprehensive damage award may be secured by experienced car accident attorneys in Louisiana, who understand the intricacies of a complex accident case that may have criminal components, such as charges for reckless driving, distracted driving, or driving under the influence. Criminal charges may affect insurance settlement amounts, degrees of fault assigned to accident parties, and impact the severity of the harmful losses and the length of time in litigation before a settlement award is determined.
- Personal injury in Donaldsonville Louisiana. If a person is hurt because of the actions, or inaction of another individual, they may be able to recover compensation when fault and/or liability is proven for the resultant harm. The recovery of damages is contingent upon a Louisiana personal injury lawyer’s ability to prove that an individual, or entity was negligent and caused the personal injury, and that a duty of care was owed to the injured victim. Legal action must be filed within the one year statute of limitations.
- Truck accidents in Donaldsonville LA. Louisiana state and federal regulations must be followed by the trucking industry in efforts to reduce negative driving encounters where catastrophic damage occurs. United States Department of Transportation Traffic Safety Administration data reveals over 500,000 truck accidents every year. Truck accident attorneys in Donaldsonville LA often initiate lawsuits based on Louisiana truck laws that follow federal guidelines for all commercial motor vehicles, subject to regulations of the United States Department of Transportation, 49 C.F.R. part 387, subpart A. This law ensures avenues of payment for accident victims by mandating insurance coverage in an amount equivalent to the minimum levels of financial responsibility set forth in the regulations. Donaldsonville Louisiana truck accident lawyers can guide accident victims through the legal process, reducing hurdles to timely awards that may be necessary to cover the catastrophic injuries that are often caused by the size discrepancy between a tractor trailer and other motor vehicles.
- Wrongful death. Wrongful death is common after car accidents, truck accidents, or other automobile accidents including those involving motorcycles, bicycles, and pedestrians. Legal representatives and certain family members can file a wrongful death lawsuit within one year from the date of the death caused by the negligent, reckless, or deliberate act of another person. Damages in these lawsuits include:
Medical bills and burial expenses
Compensation for lost wages
Compensation for the pain and suffering
Punitive damages that are intended to punish the person who caused the death.
Louisiana is a third party liability state with regard to vehicle accidents, and follows the pure comparative negligence rule. A Donaldsonville Louisiana auto accident lawyer at Miller, Hampton & Hilgendorf may seek compensation on behalf of a victim, after a judge, or jury has assigned fault.
MILLER, HAMPTON & HILGENDORF
Address: 3960 Government St, Baton Rouge, LA 70806